Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hiking Kilimanjaro Day 5: Summit Day!

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open. ~Jawaharial Nehru

Waking up at 11:30 PM was a complete whirlwind. Exhaustion and anxiety had crept in and decided to permanently reside with me.

I was so thankful for Rakhi because she did such a wonderful job of encouraging me by reminding me we had worked hard for this moment. Having another girl of this trip turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened. Not only was I checking something awesome off my bucket list, I made a new friend for life in the process.

Before leaving camp, we nibbled on a Cadbury chocolate bar that Arnold had given us which in retrospect was not even close to enough food for summit night. But the chocolate was a treat and at the time I didn’t have much of an appetite because of my nerves and the altitude.

Arnold and our porters warned us that the higher up the mountain we progressed, the more our appetites would decline. Their best advice was to force feed ourselves even if we didn’t feel hungry. Our goal was to drink at least three liters of water on the summit hike. After some fast conversion math, I found that three liters of water is almost 13 cups. And we were supposed to drink this in an eight to ten hour time frame. I felt like a camel taking in enough water to last me across the Sahara desert.

For the summit hike I bundled up in layers upon layers of clothing. I wore a spandex, moisture-wicking workout tank, a long sleeve base layer, my red University of South Carolina t-shirt, a fleece jacket, a windbreaker, and gloves on top. On bottom I wore long underwear, hiking pants, and two pairs of socks beneath my boots. I also wore a fuzzy turtle fur over my ears and my USC baseball cap. I am sure that I looked identical to Ralphie’s little brother Randy in my dad’s favorite movie “A Christmas Story” because all of my layers added 15 pounds to my figure.

Even though I was wearing many layers, stepping out of the tent into the frigid night air was like hopping into an ice cold shower. Miserable. I hate being cold and at home I am usually bundled up in a sweatshirt. I turn on my cars seat heaters in the summer for goodness sake. Arnold told us the temperature was in the mid-20s, however with the wind chill the temperature felt a lot colder.

At 12:15 we officially began our hike to the summit. It was pitch dark and looking up the mountain I could see a dotted line of tiny headlamps. I clicked my headlamp on and joined the line of lights leading to the summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment