Friday, March 18, 2011

Hiking Kilimanjaro Day 3

Since there is nothing so well worth having as friends, never lose a chance to make them. ~Francesco Guicciardini

Today has been my favorite day so far.  We woke again at 7:30 from really strong winds whipping against the tent. We ate the same breakfast as yesterday and set off hiking by 9 AM.

The first two hours of the hike were over an open plain so the wind was really intense. The first four hours of the hike were uphill and the last two hours were downhill.
Today while hiking I actually felt really good and not short of breath. The energy definitely helped the morale of the group and was quite entertaining for Rakhi, Arnold, and Aaron. I was in a very sing-songy mood and sang-talked often which one of my best friends Elizabeth would appreciate. Arnold taught us a Kilimanjaro song that I’ll be sure to add in later posts.

One cool lookout point today, Lava Tower, was at an elevation of 15,100 feet. Most people begin to experience symptoms of altitude sickness around 13,800 feet so today’s leg of the hike was meant to acclimatize us. The downhill stint of the hike was much more difficult than I expected and was really hard on my ankles and knees.

Over the six hours we hiked, Rakhi, Aaron and I had a good life chat about life experience, relationships, and the lot. Although I was nervous about not knowing Aaron that well and not knowing Rakhi at all, I am so happy to have gotten to know them. Rakhi and I get along especially well because we’re always joking and laughing.

We arrived at Baranco Camp at 4:30 PM. Instantly I like Baranco camp much better than last night’s because it is in a bit of a valley and the wind is blocked. The sunset made the sky light up with brilliant blues, purples, pinks, and oranges. 

Before dinner I “bathed” using shower gel and wet wipes. Not exactly a steamy, hot shower like the ones I’m used to at home but it will work for a week.
I was starving for dinner and was incredibly satisfied by carrot soup, bread, and pasta with cheese and minced red meat. I was pleasantly surprised by pineapple was for dessert as it’s one of my favorite fruits. I’d say this has been my favorite food we’ve been fed thus far.

Laying down to go to sleep, I realized my face, nose, and hands hurt from either windburn or sunburn. I’ve been using SPF 50 because the UVA/UVB rays are so strong at this altitude so I’m thinking windburn is the culprit. 

I’ve started a list of things to look forward to for when I get back home.

          -Being really lazy for a few days
          -Getting a manicure and pedicure
          -Catching up on the Bachelor (my guilty pleasure)
          -Eating Mexican food (for some strange reason I’ve been craving it)
          -Sleeping on a comfy bed and taking a proper shower

Although I’ve got a few things to look forward to, I’ve still got a lot of work to do to reach the summit of Kilimanjaro.

Leaving day 2 camp
Me with Kili in the background
Me in front of Lava Tower
 It was slightly windy & cold hiking down from Lava Tower
Me, Rakhi, & Aaron on the trail
Looking up at Lava Tower
Weird plant-tree things on Kili
The summit of Kilimanjaro in the distance
Sunset from camp

No comments:

Post a Comment