Thursday, February 24, 2011

All About Outwear

Fashions fade, style is eternal. ~Yves Saint Laurent

Now that your backpack is half full of your tops, bottoms, and undergarments, you still need to squeeze in outwear. As I said in the previous post, layering is key. Because you go through several different climates while hiking Kilimanjaro (previous post on weather), you need to prepare yourself clothing wise so that you’re comfortable and prepared for all types of weather.

The first jacket I layered with was my favorite Northface black fleece zip up priced at $80. I bought mine on clearance from REI so I got a great deal on it. Want the look for less? Target sells a black zip up Champion jacket that isn’t fleece but a softshell material. I would definitely recommend having a fleece jacket to keep you warm when temperatures drop at night and at higher altitudes.

In addition to all of my layers of shirts and my fleece jacket, I wore my favorite pink Northface rain jacket. Although it didn’t rain on my hike, I wore this jacket everyday because it’s lightweight so it layers well and because it’s a good windbreaker for when it gets gusty on the mountain. The Northface Women’s Venture rain jacket comes in almost twenty colors and is $99 which is pretty pricey, but it’s a good investment for college girls or working women who are often walking through campus or the city. Want the look for less? This Columbia rain jacket is a good alternative and although it only comes in four colors, it’s only $60. Want the look for even less than that? This Kelty rain jacket, available at Target, is a cute periwinkle color and a steal at $35. I might recommend going with the Northface or Columbia rain jackets as they are meant to stand up to the harsh weather of the outdoors when hiking or camping specifically.

If you’re like me, you probably hate it most when your hands and feet are chilly. In order to keeps my hands nice and toasty, I wore my Northface Denali Thermal Gloves. They’re relatively inexpensive at $30 and the fuzzy material is super comfortable in winter weather.

Now, we can’t forget about covering up your ears and head! I wore a TurtleFur fleece headband to keep my ears covered. 

I also wore my favorite University of South Carolina baseball cap everyday to show my love for the Gamecocks. As a girl, a baseball cap will be your best friend on your Kilimanjaro hike because as the week goes on and your hair gets dirtier and more tangled, a hat becomes the only way to control it. Plus, you don’t want to look back at pictures of your hike up Kilimanjaro and decide not to frame them because your hair looks too messy or greasy. Do yourself a favor and buy a cute and comfortable hat to cover up the bird’s nest your hair will become so you will still look adorable in your photos. 

One type of hat I didn’t bring but wish I would have is a fleece beanie. This would have been especially good to have on summit night when it is freezing cold outside and at night while sleeping since wearing a baseball cap to bed is awkward.

Want to know what kind of kicks you need to climb Kilimanjaro? Read tomorrow’s post to find out what type of boots you need to get your booty to the summit!

Warm and comfy Northface Women's TKA 200 Kimber Full Zip

My favorite pink Northface rain jacket

Super soft Northface Denali Thermal Gloves

Turtle Fur Fleece Headband to keep my ears toasty

My favorite USC hat to cover up my crazy hair and show some Gamecock pride

No comments:

Post a Comment